Since 1977, the National Journalism Center has trained aspiring conservative journalists in the values of responsible, balanced, and accurate reporting. Weekly seminars and on-the-job experience provide participants with the tools to become leaders in combating bias in the mainstream media.
Seminars include talks with prominent journalists and public policy experts, writing exercises, training in investigative reporting, audio and video training, and current events and policy discussions. Scholars also participate in investigative team, or “I-team,” a six-week program designed to teach the ins and outs of writing an investigative piece. Staff writer for the Washington Free Beacon Bill McMorris takes students from finding a story idea, to cultivating sources and publishing a piece.
NJC scholars are provided a $1200 monthly stipend to put towards rent and transportation to their internship. The balance between hands-on experience and academic training gives scholars a competitive edge in the workplace after graduation.
“NJC offered an unprecedented networking and educational opportunity for students. Speakers were high-quality voices in journalism [covering] a wide range of subjects, from print and radio to broadcast and new media. Whatever your particular flair of journalism might be, you learn so much here.”
~ Yuichiro Kakutani, Summer Class of 2019
“This internship completely solidified my dream to be a journalist and provided opportunities that are typically out of reach for college students.”
~ Grayce McCormick, Summer Class of 2019
“NJC is the best internship to pursue for anyone hoping to break into the journalism field. The program’s substantive trainings empower young journalists with a comprehensive set of essential skills necessary to pursue a career in the media today.”
~Tristan Justice, Spring Class of 2018
“My experience with NJC was invaluable. You would be hard-pressed to find any other internship experience that offers such comprehensive training in combination with extensive field experience.”
~ Julia McGrath, Spring Class of 2019
Work At NJC
Position: Program Officer, National Journalism Center at Young America’s Foundation
Location: 11480 Commerce Park Drive, Reston, Virginia
The National Journalism Center (NJC), a project of Young America’s Foundation, is hiring a program officer to report to the director of National Journalism.
This person must be passionate about NJC and Young America’s Foundation’s mission as well as organized, motivated, and driven. The program officer will be actively involved in recruiting, retaining, and training young conservatives who are aspiring to be journalists. He or she will assist the director with planning student curriculum, scheduling speakers, organizing NJC-related events and activities, working with NJC alumni, and other tasks as needed.
This position is based out of Young America’s Foundation’s National Headquarters in Reston, Virginia.
• Update online internship postings to recruit students
• Attend job fairs to find high quality applicants
• Review incoming student applications
• Assist with interviews and student selections
• Assist with program curriculum
• Assist with scheduling speakers
• Draft monthly reports on NJC’s activities
• Track intern clips/publications
• Update/manage communication with alumni
• Help brainstorm and plan networking events
• Other office duties as assigned
• Self-motivated, organized, and flexible
• Ability to work independently and multitask
• Ability to work as a collaborative, constructive team member
• Positive attitude
• Committed to and enthusiastic about Young America’s Foundation’s mission and programs
• Willingness to comply with YAF policies, procedures, and practices
• Previous experience with NJC and/or Young America’s Foundation’s student programs is preferred (but not required)
• Experience in journalism, event planning, and/or working with students
• Effective written and oral communication skills
Please submit resume, references, all salary history, and a cover letter to: Emily Jashinsky, Director of National Journalism, email@example.com
Salary will be based on experience and previous salary history.